Data Disclosure Criteria
- In The Enforcement Rules, the term “Marine Science Data” has been predefined by Article 2 of The Terms as data owned by or licensed to TORI with full right of disposal.
- The Terms shall be included in all contracts of collaborative research projects between TORI and collaborating parties for proper recordkeeping and for reference purposes. If any parts of The Terms cannot be met due to special circumstances or nature of the data, an addendum must be drawn to include the exceptions. The addendum, then, must be followed and/or executed.
- Unless otherwise stated, the data protection period of the data owned by TORI shall be no more than 2 years. The starting day of the data protection period begins on the last day of an exploration voyage, the date of equipment retrieval, the last day of data transmission, or the day after the data processing completion date. Based on the nature of the data, one of the aforementioned will be used for calculation.
- Data collected on exploration voyages which are not designated for the use of research, such as exploration activity data, track history, single beam data, ocean current, marine weather, and other voyage related data, will be made available for data request three months following the end-of-voyage date.
Rules for data using
- The data obtained from TORI, including but not limited to numerical data, images, and publications, are to be limited for the use of the purpose stated in the data disclosure application only. In addition, the purpose herein are limited to research, educational purposes, disaster relief, and analysis for government policy establishment or any other purposes approved by TORI beforehand. The data shall not be used for legal proceedings.
- When using any data from TORI, whether it was downloaded from this website or through the data disclosure application process, the source must be properly cited, for example, “Provided by Taiwan Ocean Research Institute, National Applied Research Laboratories”. by Taiwan Ocean Research Institute, National Applied Research Laboratories”。
- Data request applicants are bound by Articles 5 and 6 of The Terms.
- For educational purposes, TORI’s data can be included in course material and only be used for such course. Students are forbidden to make duplicates in any form or provide such course material to other individuals or organizations.
- The applicant shall advise TORI’s data management team of any treatise, such as research reports, technical reports, conference papers, journal articles, master's theses, books or any other works, published using the obtained data from TORI. The treatise will be recorded for user reference purposes.
- The applicant shall bear sole responsibility for, and shall be solely liable for, any legal consequences arising from the violation of any rules stipulated in the above mentioned. TORI reserves the right to discontinue processing such application and/or take appropriate actions.
The data management team of TORI is the business unit for data servicing. The application procedure for data service requests are as follows:
- I. Service Application
- 1. TORI accepts both electronic and paper applications. Both require the submission of an affidavit, which are also accepted in both electronic form or by mail-in hardcopy. First-time online applicants will be required to register for an online account before one may proceed.
- II. Service Application
- TORI will examine the contents of the application and confirm the receipt of a signed affidavit before proceeding.
- TORI will assess and provide a service fee, an estimated date of delivery, and a confirmation of the validity of such application to the applicant
- III. Authorization Procedure
- Application request in accordance with the said services provided to the public by TORI will be approved by the manager of the data management team.
- Any application request for services not currently provided to the public will be approved on a case-by-case basis. A committee consisting of TORI personnel chosen by the Deputy Director General will be formed to discuss the application. The final decision with be made by the Director General.
- IV. Processing
- V. Provide data as stated in the application upon payment
- VI. Case Complete
- I. Service Application
Fee assessment standard
Fee assessed are determined on a case-by-case basis with consideration of the service provided in such case. Services provided and fee assessment standard are approved by NARLabs (and will be the future reference), posted on the website . Adjustments will be made as necessary.
- Article 6 Once approved by TORI’s Director General, The Enforcement Rules will be posted and take effect immediately.