Privacy and Safety Policy
To ensure your privacy rights and data security, the Taiwan Ocean Research Institute of National Applied Research Laboratories Foundation (hereinafter referred to as “TORI”) has established the following policies based on the Personal Information Protection Act of Taiwan for privacy protection and website safety purposes. The policies explain how your personal information is collected, used, and secured.
- The following privacy and safety policy only refers to activities, such as personal information collection, use, and security, conducted on TORI website and MED website. It does not apply to other websites, including third-party website hyperlinks provided on this website. If you click on a third-party hyperlink and proceed to a third-party website, such website’s separate and independent privacy and safety policy applies.
二、Personal Information Collection, Use, and Security
- When you use the services provided on this website, the personal information, such as e-mail, name, you provide will only be used to provide you such services and not for other purposes.
- When you view content, conduct searches, or any other similar activities, the web server stores certain information in the log, including but not limited to your IP address, time stamp, webpages browsed. TORI uses the compilation of these data to conduct user behavioral analysis, but does not use any personal data for such analysis.
TORI has the responsibility to protect your privacy. TORI will not sell, exchange, or lend your information to any third-party with the following exceptions:
a) to cooperate with investigations of legal processes.
b) to meet any enforceable government requests.
- A cookie is a communication technique that sends a small piece of text to your browser by the server of a website. It stores certain information about your visit in the hard drive of the computer to help the website identify each visitor in order to provide more personalized services or can be used for the improvement of the website. You can choose to enable or disable cookies in your browser settings based on your own preferences. If you choose to disable all cookies, you may not use some or all parts of personalized services and may not be able to participate in certain website activities.
四、Personal Information Modification, Security, and Liabilities
- The TORI website has an easy-to-use interface for convenience purposes so you may access, update, or modify any information as well as add or delete any online services by preference. When a user registers to become a member, the user name and password allow the user to have full-access of the aforementioned services. If you suspect that your password is compromised in any way, please change your password or contact us immediately. TORI cannot be responsible in such event and you will be fully liable for all consequences. This article applies to only the personal information that is part of your member profile. Information provided for promotional or marketing activities are excluded and cannot be modified once submitted.
- The Privacy and Safety Policy of TORI only applies to TORI website and MED website. Some of the contents on the website may contain hyperlinks belonging to a third-party. Users may connect to these third-party websites through TORI by clicking the hyperlink. However, TORI cannot guarantee the privacy practices of the third-party websites and hereby remind users the Privacy and Safety Policy of TORI is not applicable once your leave our website.
六、Electronic Newsletters and E-Mails
- With user permission, TORI will send emails to members and a portion of the email will be commercial. Other than clear indication of TORI as the sender, the e-mail will include instructions on how to stop receiving such information or e-mails.
七、Website Security and Policy
Any attempt to upload or modify TORI’s website content without authorization is strictly forbidden and may be considered a violation of the law. In order to ensure website security and the continuation of all services provided, our website has the following security features in place:
- Intrusion Detection and Prevention System – monitors network traffic to prevent hacking and unauthorized attempts to upload or modify website content
- Firewall – protect user privacy rights by preventing intrusion, destruction, and stealing of data to block illegal access
- Installation of antivirus software and regular scans to provide users a safe website browsing environment
- Conduct routine scans and ensure proper safety features are in place
- Backup data daily onto backup server
- Follow recommendations and instructions to install appropriate patches when notified by software manufacturer security update emails
- Data transmission over the internet is not guaranteed to be 100% safe. TORI will make every attempt to secure the safety of your personal information. In many cases, SSL security protocol is applied to ensure the safety of the transmission. However, TORI cannot guarantee the security on the user end, because data transmission is dependent of the internet safety environment of both parties, we cannot ensure the safety of your data transmission. All users must be aware of the possible risks involved with data transmission and shall be liable for all consequences. It is important for users to recognize the circumstances are beyond TORI’s control.
- Any attempt to upload or modify TORI’s website content without authorization is strictly forbidden and may be considered a violation of the law. In order to ensure website security and the continuation of all services provided, our website has the following security features in place:
八、Modifications of the Privacy and Safety Policy
- Due to the fast-paced technological advancements and the unpredictable evolution of such environment caused by factors unknown, TORI will update the Privacy and Safety Policy as needed to achieve protection of your privacy and ensure Internet security. If any revisions are made, it will be posted online immediately. An easily visible notification with a hyperlink will appear on the website guiding you to read the updated policy.
- If you have any questions or comments regarding the content of this policy, please feel free to contact us via email at service @tori.narl.org.tw.